In 1948, Weimar built the first lighted baseball field between San Antonio and Houston. Citizens named it Veterans Park in honor of those who had been killed in two World Wars. Baseball had been popular in Weimar even back in the preceding century. The sport continues to be popular with Weimar's State Championship High School program and semi-pro baseball team.
Baseball, in Weimar, is an institution in itself. In fact, baseball and Weimar are synonymous, as it has been part of Weimar from the very beginning...
In the early 1900's baseball was played at several locations scattered about the countryside. Games are recalled played in the Janak pasture (now F.C. Seifert property), also south of town on what is now the Henry Dreitner farm, and at the Firemen's park (now Hill Memorial Park). The team was known as the KC's when baseball was played on the Dreitner location.
The first ball park was built by Bill B. Barta in the southern section of town in 1938. Bleachers were added in 1939. The Weimar Wildcats, managed by S. J. Burttschell with Bill Barta as business manager, won the South Central Texas League amateur title in 1940.
The Weimar Wildcats of 1940 are probably the only team on record having two sets of three brothers: V. "Jiggs" Kana, Henry "Fats" Kana, and Joe "Jack" Kana and Walter, Hilbert and Werner Boeer and two sets of brothers: Jerome "Hooks" Hajovsky and Henry "Cuz" Hajovsky and Jimmie and Johnnie Mazoch all playing on the same team at the same time.
The Barta Ball Park was used until 1948, and Sunday afternoons saw heated battles decided on the diamond.
Veteran's Park.In 1948 activity moved to the north side of town when a new lighted baseball field, the first between Houston and San Antonio, was built. A grandstand seating up to 4000 spectators made it the finest ball park in the area, and semi-pro baseball came to Weimar.
The Herder Truckers of 1949, semi-pro baseball team.The Herder Truckers, a team composed of local and college students supported by business men of the town, brought the eyes of the nation on Weimar. The Truckers won first place in State semi-pro tournament; Houston Post championship; 4th place in national semi-pro tournament held in Wichita, Kansas; and was designated No. 1 Town Team in the national tournament.
Semi-pro ball continued until 1952 when emphasis was placed on youth-oriented baseball, and adult baseball returned to the amateur level. Beginning with 1952 the M-G Feeders represented Weimar for two years; the Weimar Merchants for two years; and since that time the Weimar Vets have been the town team. In 1969 the Vets won the South Central Texas League championship and the right to enter the NBC tournament at Lubbock. Managers for the Vets have been Joe Hartensteiner, George Muzny, Allen Hoelscher, Donn Klare, and George Kloesel.
In 1950 the Little League for 9, 10, 11, and 12-year old boys began under the leadership of Rev. Alois Goertz. This program started with eight teams in the town and has averaged that number each season since.
Teen-aged baseball for 13, 14, and 15-year old youngsters began in 1955 with Al Kasparek as organizer and leader. Here the town has had one major and one farm team each year to enter competitive play. In 1955 the Weimar team was the Central Texas Junior Teen Age champion, and many of the players were boys who had begun playing in Little League five years before.
The Little League program received an assist in 1961 when Mr. G. W. Shaver gave the youngsters a gratis lease for 15 years covering half a block of land in the northern part of the city for use as a playing area. It has been named "Shaver Field" in his honor, and the players maintain it in playing condition.
The Connie Mack League for 16, 17 and 18-year old boys began in 1962 under the guidance of Cecil Ellison. This group fields one team each year. Prior to this time the Catholic Youth Organization sponsored a team in this age bracket which was under the supervision of Msgr. A. Drozd.
In 1966 Weimar High School, which dropped baseball some years ago, restored the diamond sport to its program. The school has one team per year representing the school.
The town has been vitally concerned with the youth program not only here but over a wide expanse of the surrounding territory as well as over the state. Weimar was a focal point in the Babe Ruth program for the entire state of Texas for quite awhile; Al Kasparek served as director in the Lone Star State for the Babe Ruth organization. It was also headquarters for the Tri-County League, which began with four teams, grew to 18 teams, in Colorado, Fayette and DeWitt-Lavaca Counties, but which eventually numbered 33 teams.
"Some people put too much emphasis on winning," Kasparek declared. "We teach the boys to conduct themselves properly on and off the diamond."
Baseball is still No. 1 in Weimar.
From Weimar, Texas First 100 Years, 1873-1973.