The library is housed in the old train depot on Jackson Square and is on the State Historical Register. Caboose, adjacent to depot, is used as a library office.
|Weimar Public Library
1 Jackson Square
Weimar, TX 78962
Monday - Friday
9:30am - 5:20pm
9:00am - Noon
The Weimar Gedenke Festival
Our beloved Festival grew from the combination of several local festivals and is now the city's main celebration each year on Mother's Day weekend.
One of the first annual celebrations in Weimar was the Cucumber Carnival, held in 1940 and 1941. The Texas Pickle Company operated in Weimar for over 30 years and, at one time, over 300 acres of cucumbers were planted in the immediate area. The Cucumber Carnival was an all-day celebration that featured a parade, bathing beauty contest and queen coronation, among other activities. The festival was cancelled in 1942 due to the outbreak of World War Two and was never held again.
In 1973, Mrs. Betty Seifert chaired a committee that planned and successfully celebrated the city's centennial. While the festival was a great success, it was not continued in future years. However, for several years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the Lions Club held a celebration on Post Office Street complete with carnival rides and games. In addition to the Lions Club, the Weimar Garden Club began the Jackson Square Festival as a means to raise money for landscaping around the new Gazebo. The ladies invited various local organizations to sell everything from homemade ice cream to sausage-on-a-stick. Although it was a successful fundraiser, the festival lacked a proper carnival. The answer was to combine the Lions Club carnival with the Garden Club's festival and christen it "Gedenke!"
Loosely translated from German, the word "gedenke" means "think of" or "remember"; thus the festival is held in hopes local residents will remember their hometown and attend the festival. The festival includes games for all ages, a biergarden, several live bands, a parade, arts and crafts, a BBQ cook-off, and a 5 K fun run/walk. FUN FOR EVERYONE! There is no charge for admission or parking.
German and Czech immigrants had already begun farming the rolling prairie of Colorado County when Daniel Washington Jackson, of Warren County, Georgia, founded the town first called Jackson Station.
Located on the land of the original Stephen F. Austin Colony, Weimar was founded in 1873. In exchange for a half interest in the town site, Jackson, a surveyor at the time, persuaded the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway Company (GH&SA) to build a depot in the town as a new railway was being built from Alleyton to San Antonio. The city was incorporated in July, 1875.
On October 7,1977, the City Council designated the 100th block of E. Jackson as Jackson Square. The Weimar Public Library, an old train depot with its office located in the caboose, is House Number 1. Businesses on the south side of the street are numbered accordingly.
The original Jackson Hotel was erected in the last 1870's. The first hotel burned down, and a second was built on the site in 1910. This building has housed the San Jacinto Hotel which opened in 1930, then the Weimar Country Inn that opened December 1983 as a bed and breakfast but closed in 1990. It later became the corporate headquarter for Double B Foods. It is now home to the Boys and Girls Club of Champion Valley.
Heritage Society Museum of Weimar
Located at 125 E. Main, the museum is open on Wed. from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There is no admission and group tours on available on other day. Call 979-725-8203 or 979-725-8478 for information.
Heritage Society Museum of Weimar
No Admission Fee
Group tours available
Old Hill Bank Building
125 E Main St
Weimar, TX 78962
Housed in the Old Hill Bank building. The Heritage Society Museum of Weimar, Inc. focuses on exhibits tracing the city's history, beginning with the original land grant from the Spanish government to Henry Austin in 1831.
Surveying tools and personal effects of Weimar's founder, D.W. Jackson, are displayed.
The Main Street area gives a fascination glimpse of life into Weimar's early days. Strolling down "the street," visitors can view a doctor's office with a full-size skeleton on a stand beside an old-fashioned examining table. Clearly in view is an amputation kit and a wooden leg belonging to Peg-Leg Strunk, an early area rancher.
A dentist office, department store, bank, blacksmith forge, a facsimile of the old Mercury newspaper printing shop, a barber ship and beauty salon all make up the museum's Main Street.
The early country kitchen exhibit is complete with a Hoosier cabinet, the pride of any 1900's housewife. First manufactured in Indiana, these cabinets took their name from the Hoosier state. A poppy-seed grinder is clamped to the worktable, ready for making poppy-seed filled Kolaches.
Photographs of the people who created Weimar's history fill the museum's walls. Pictures include wedding couples, children at play, farmers at work, and buddies cooling off at a local saloon on a hot Texas day.
Treasured keepsakes of the area families share space with souvenir artifacts from Weimar's commercial past. Old ledgers and hand cancellations in the Hill Bank exhibit show how financial institutions once operated. (A nearby three-ton black iron safe is ornamented in elaborate gold filigree.) Don't think the flapper-style evening gown in the bank room is out of place. It belonged to Pearl Hill Kindred, the first woman bank officer in Texas.
The Military Room features uniforms and G.I. memorabilia from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Persian Gulf conflict. Among the most unusual items is a water-cooled machine gun from W.W. I and Nazi banners from W.W.II. There's even a Civil War cannonball, recently unearthed east of town. The Military Room's exterior wall holds the Weimar's Veteran Roll, which lists area residents who have served in the United States Armed Forces.
The pharmacy exhibit is most impressive. An inlaid majolica tile soda fountain from the old Farmer's Drug Store greets visitors to this section. One can easily imagine enjoying a long-ago Saturday afternoon with a cool fountain drink or scoop of ice cream.
Pharmaceutical items, housed in original drug store cabinets and cases, include remedies and patent medicines such as Doctor Thatcher's Liver and Blood Syrup and Grandma's Household Remedies. A vast collection of mortars and pestles, pharmaceutical tools, bottles, and books line the walls. Prohibition-era prescriptions for alcohol, written in 1924 for a man and his wife prompt comments about "medicinal uses" of spirits. Both scripts carry the same date. Perhaps the couple was giving a party that evening?
The museum takes pride in its preservation of Weimar's past. Among its holdings is an extensive collection of old Weimar school yearbooks and many photos of the community's early baseball teams.
At one time, the majority of area citizens made their living in agriculture. One of the early cotton-seed oil mills in Texas existed in Weimar (1876).
In 1926, when the Texas Pickle Company opened, farmers began planting cucumbers to supply the brining vats. The factory operated for thirty years.
Displayed in the museum are such items as a bathtub-sized copper kettle used in commercial pickle producing and a manual hay press (circa 1900). This valuable modern piece of equipment (in its day) was shared by a group of farmers.
The newest addition to the Heritage Society Museum is the Weimar Volunteer Firefighter's exhibit, which houses a vintage Seagrave pumper and hose truck, 1890 house cart, uniforms and photographs.
The museum annex, located on Post Office Street, houses the "Rural Americana" exhibit. Against a country scene back drop, visitors can view examples of typical farm implements known to have come from area farmers.